04 Dec 2009 Skills necessary for the design manager and the design leader
The design manager should be able to manage:
- design people,
- design budgets,
- design timetables,
- design work,
- design organizations.
It is obvious that it is a wide range of complex skills, especially if we consider that design managers are often supposed to be the design leaders too.
- envisioning the future,
- manifesting strategic intent,
- directing design investment,
- managing corporate reputation,
- nurturing the environment for innovation,
- training for design leadership (Turner in MacDonald (ed), 2004, p. 14).
Source: MacDonald, Stuart (ed). 2004. Design Issues in Europe Today. The Bureau of European Design Associations – BEDA, 58 p.